Monday, December 8, 2008

Winter Break Assignment: Night by Elie Wiesel


Winter Break Reading: Everything is due: Tuesday, January 6th, 2009

Night by Elie Wiesel

Directions: All of the following assignments are due by Tuesday, January 6, 2009. Some of the assignments are due on the blogger and some are due in hardcopy (typed up on regular paper) so, please make sure you follow the guidelines.


Vocabulary for Night
Directions: Write the definitions for the following words. Please turn this in hardcopy form (typed on paper.) Hand-in on Tuesday, Jan. 6.

1. prostrate 2. interlude 3. reprieve 4. rations 5. dysentery 6. robust 7. quarantine 8. apathy 9. humane 10. grimace 11. nocturnal 12. livid 13. pious 14. interminable 15. wizened 16. morale 17. infernal 18. refuge 19. oppressive 20. expelled

Directions: When reading, be an active reader: take notes and keep a journal. I want you to keep a Reaction Journal for the novel. Everytime you read 10 pages, I want you to react in writing to something you have read that was especially powerful, meaningful, or interesting. Log the page number that you are commenting on, include the date, identify the quote that you are reacting to, and your reaction, which should be a paragraph long. In total, you should have a minimum of 10 paragraphs. Keep this Reaction Journal on the Blogger; you can include pictures if you like.

Directions: Before you begin reading Night, read the questions below and keep them in mind as you read. The questions should be posted on your blogger. Remember no need to write the question out-just give a complete answer.


Questions for Consideration: Elie Wiesel's Night
1) Where is Wiesel's childhood home? Locate the country on a map.
2) Wiesel opens Night by relating his youthful desire to study the cabala. What is the cabala?
3) Wiesel says that when he was young, he wanted to study the cabala in order to know the truths of this world. What kinds of truths is he referring to? After you complete Night, return to this question: what kinds of truth was the young Elie ignorant of?
4) Why is Moshe the Beadle a significant character? What does he tell Elie about answers, questions, and the truth? After you complete Night, return to this question: why was Moshe prescient in his admonition to Elie?
5) Why do the people of Sighet ignore Moshe after he returns from his escape? Why don't they listen to him?
6) Who is Madame Schachter? In what ways is she similar to Moshe the Beadle? (Think about prophetic figures and how people often ignore them.)
7) Consider this passage on pg. 32:Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desires to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God himself. Never.
8) What is the context of this passage? How has the young Elie's theology changed? As you continue reading, ask yourself how this passage speaks to the rest of Night.
9) How does Elie's understanding of God and God's presence—or absence— continue to change throughout Night? When is he most angry with God? When is not angry at all? Mark passages throughout Night that illustrate his changing attitudes toward God.
10) What literal and figurative (symbolic or metaphorical) meanings does night have in Night?
11) Why do you think Night is such a slim book? Surely Wiesel could have included much more detail.
12) Is Night a memoir of tragedy or triumph? Can it be both? If so, why? If not, why not?

Write a full 3 page essay. Complete in MLA format, use direct quotes and outside sources (academic level.) Just remember to cite all. Turn in a hardcopy (formal typed essay.) Use the outline that we have been working on to help you write more effectively. Choose one of the following topics for your essay:
ESSAY QUESTIONS

1. Dehumanization is the process by which the Nazis gradually reduced the Jews to little more than "things" which were a nuisance to them. Discuss at least three specific examples of events that occurred which dehumanized Eliezer, his father, or his fellow Jews.


2. After Eliezer’s father was beaten by Idek, a Kapo, Eliezer says, "I had watched the whole scene without moving. I kept quiet. In fact I was thinking of how to get farther away so that I would not be hit myself. What is more, any anger I felt at that moment was directed, not against the Kapo, but against my father. I was angry with him, for not knowing how to avoid Idek’s outbreak. That is what concentration camp life had made of me." Discuss what the last line signifies. Discuss how his attitude had changed.


3. Discuss why you think the townspeople remained complacent despite the advance of the German army.


4. Discuss why Eliezer lied to Stein, his relative, about Stein’s family. Discuss whether or not you think he was morally right.


5. Discuss the significance of "night" in the novel. Cite examples from the story to support your answer.


6. Explain the author’s meaning when he says after the handing of the youth from Warsaw that "the soup tasted excellent that evening," yet after the pipel was hanged, "the soup tasted of corpses."
Any Questions, email me. -I will check my email over the break-Happy Holidays!!!

41 comments:

Bethanie Sonnefeld said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
onkar/becky said...

Hi Mrs.Bosch i finished the questions there on my blog. i hope u like the picture!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catherine M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victor J said...

I Posted my questions now Mrs. Bosch

http://he10night.blogspot.com/

-Victor Jimenez

Codi Mitchell said...

Hey Mrs. Bosch.

I finished my question and they are posted on my blog

Codi

http://codimitchell11.blogspot.com/

Manpreet Grewal said...

I am completely done with the questions! =)

http://mkgrewalhonors9.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

http://fijianprincess93.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Bosch. Im done with the questions and they're on my blog.

Savanna Varney said...

i am done with my questions =] been to lazy to post them lol

Helio said...

I finished my questions for Night.
On time........WHAT????
I know a miracle.

Natalie said...

Hey Mrs. Bosch I have finished my questons and they are posted on my blog :) :) :) I hope that i did them right lol :D I added somethings to them too...idk if i should have tho...i will have to check with you on that...lol
NATTI :)

Jackie Ou said...

Hey Mrs. Bosch (:
Here's the link to the questions that are supposed to be on my blog.
http://wintertimework.blogspot.com/

Merry [late] Christmas
And
Happy New [late] Year
((:
-Jackie

LuisAcevedo said...

the questions are on my blogger

onkar/becky said...

hey mrs.bosch i posted my essay hope thats okay did u like my awesome pictures no one can ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever beat those picture no one !!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and the sharks play tomorrow at 7:00 pm against Calgary crazy game!!!!!!!!=)=)=) smileys

Hillary said...

YESSSSSSSS! everything is on my blogger!
hillarylikeschocolate34.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

My questions have been completed!

http://kelseyallenftw.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Bosch. I posted my definitions on my blog:]

BrendaVanRiper said...

I finished my questions :D
http://brendavrnight.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

okay my questions are up!

http://honorswinterassignment.blogspot.com/




-sarah!

Marco's English 10 Honors Blog said...

Yo miz Bosch it is Marco i am Done posting stuff on my Blogger

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Bosch.

I just sent you my essay. My Microsoft Word decided to work on my computer tonight. Haha:]

Taryn Hale said...

my questions are on my blog now mrs. bosch

http://tarynbeast.blogspot.com/

Samantha Thurman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine M. said...

I have finished all my blog requirements, even adding my journals :)

_Katie McCollum

http://nightynightnight.blogspot.com/

Bethanie Sonnefeld said...

i am done posting the essay, vocab, and questions, but i am posting the journals tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I finished putting up the rest of those journals:]

BrendaVanRiper said...

I finished all the stuff, journals, vocab, essay, and questions it's all on my blog.

http://brendavrnight.blogspot.com/

Savanna Varney said...

ok so i posted everything but the journals i left them in my portfolio i will post them asap!!!!

Ryan wants me to tell you he is reading beo wolf and inferno

LuisAcevedo said...

The essay, vocab, and questions are on my blogger.

Savanna Varney said...

posted my reflection journal =]

Helio said...

Everything is on my blogger.

Extra Credit for being onn time????? :) hmmmm.
I Know, not a chance.
but at least they are in on time.
:)

Crysalyn said...

I've posted everything....Vocab, Journals, (E.C.!!!)Questions, and my Essay too. sssssssoooooooooo yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....


-Crysalyn Miranda

Anonymous said...

I posted all my stuff on the blog man. On the real.

http://kelseyallenwinterassignment.blogspot.com/

C_Dauz said...

Mrs. Bosch I put my essay on blogger.

http://cdauz10.blogspot.com/

Samantha Thurman said...

Have all my stuff on my blog

http://samshonorsenglishblog.blogspot.com/

-Sam...antha

~LEI137~ said...

hey mrs. bosch. All my work is on my blog including the extra credit. good night.

Lauren Schryver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren Schryver said...

my bad. sorry about that. well here is my comment. see ya tomorrow, thanks.

Lauren Schryver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taryn Hale said...

k my vocab is up too
same one as the one in my email didnt change anything :)

Lauren Schryver said...

ok well its all there! so ill remind you again tomorrow that i have everything. thank you much. see ya tomorrow!!